Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hello and Welcome!

I decided to start this blog to write about all the amazing teen books I am reading. I wish I had all the time in the world to do book talks in the classroom, but it is so hard to be able to talk about ALL of the great books out there. I will continue to bring up the awesome reads in class but I also want to give people a place to come to hear all about the books that I am reading.

This summer I have been catching up on many of the books that I had piled up in the house. I will start with the Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale. I have been reading this series for a few years now and finally got around to reading books 8, 9, and 10 of the series. This series is a great adventure series and really brings up some great themes of friendship and the nature of humans. Bobby Pendragon is a very likeable character that the reader can really connect to. It is fun to imagine all of the different territories that he travels to as well as thinking about the ultimate battle for Halla. Every book in the series really was a pageturner for me. I found myself staying up until the wee small hours of the morning to finish the last book because I was so curious about how it was all going to end. Pendragon is a series that I would recommend for Harry Potter fans because I felt almost the same sense of adventure from this series.

I also just finished reading the book Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Now I know why this book was talked about in so many places. I was expecting a very heartbreaking story of a suicidal girl. I did get the story of this girl but in such a suspenseful and interesting way that the focus was not on the tragedy but on the mystery of what happened. I was thankful to the author for that because it made the book one that I really couldn't put down. I was right there with the narrator who could not stop listening to the tapes once he started...I wanted to know how all of the people had affected Hannah. I will be using this book in my classroom this year as a read aloud so that the 7th grade students can reflect on how their actions really make a difference to others. I would highly recommend this book to any teen reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment