This week's list is full of great books that I loved reading. All of these books have amazing characters who work to survive against the greatest of odds. Many of these worlds started out seeming not-so-bad but any time spent there would reveal the awful circumstances in which the citizens find themselves. All of these places were great worlds to visit for a while, but I am super happy I do not live in these places. In no particular order, my picks are as follows:
1. Divergent : I would never want to be sorted like the people are in this world. I think variety is what makes us all interesting.
2. Legend: A world in which there are multiple plagues killing off poor citizens and a military state that rewards the rich? No, thanks!
3. The Hunger Games: No explanation needed here.
4. Rot and Ruin: Umm, Zombies.
5. The Knife of Never Letting Go: Despicable people that do despicable things. Noise that doesn't stop and a crazy man chasing you.
6. The House of the Scorpion: The world in which Matt lives is a hostile world ruled by a drug lord. The inhumane treatment of clones makes the world that much more awful.
7. The Giver: A world with no color in which every adult takes a pill to suppress their urges...not cool!
8. Ready Player One: I just keep thinking about those mobile home parks with towers of RVs. I hope things never get that crowded. Also, a world in which entering a virtual reality is the choice that many people make to escape their reality does not sound like a fun world to me.
9. Super Sad True Love Story: This is a depressing look at what the future may hold for us. It is a tale of commercialism taking over the world and a place in which everyone is dependent upon their tablets for everything. Much of the book was really close to home and I really hope we aren't living in this world in 20 years.
10. Delirium: A world in which love is viewed as a disease is just not a world I want to live in.
I would love to hear your thoughts! Please share in the comments below.