Monday, June 25, 2012

It's Monday! What are you Reading?

Jen and Kellee at TeachMentorTexts.com host a weekly meme entitled "It's Monday! What are you Reading?"  This is a chance for people to share the books that they have been reading throughout the week, especially focused on kid lit and YA lit. 


This week I spent a lot of time in meetings and trainings so it didn't quite feel like summer vacation yet.  I managed to get quite a lot of reading in but not so much writing for the Teachers Write camp.  I am hoping to turn that around this week while still making the time for reading.  

Books Finished this week:
Brody's Ghost byMark Crilley--a graphic novel that was okay.  I had a student begging me to find the sequel earlier this school year so I know that some 8th graders will like it.  
Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block--I am not sure I know why people seem to like this book so much.  I know that there will be some students who will enjoy the unconventional style of the book.  I need to read more of the books before really passing judgement...perhaps Weetzie will grow on me.  
The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle by Hugh Lofting--I just began with the Newbery challenge so I am woefully behind anyone who started in January but I will plug away at these books.  I went through the list this week and realized I have already read quite a few in the last ten years or so.  I am planning to reread the books I read as a child and don't really remember but may not reread books that I have read more recently...especially ones that I have used for teaching and have read multiple times in the last five years.  This book was pleasantly surprising and entertaining after suffering through some of the last one.  
Babymouse: Burns Rubber, Babymouse: Cupcake Tycoon, Babymouse: The Musical, Babymouse: Dragonslayer by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm--I am almost embarrassed to say that I had never read any of these graphic novels before.  I really enjoyed the quick and easy reads and was astonished at all of the literary references.  I loved that the musical one referred to so many musicals also.  I could see using one of these fun scenes as a lesson about allusions for my 8th graders.  I am definitely going to try to get some copies of this series for my class library.  
Lessons From a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles--Participating in Teachers Write has given me so many great ideas for my writing, but it has also exposed me to a number of excellent authors.  This book was riveting and I stayed up way too late reading it and didn't do anything the next morning until it was finished.  
Forever by Maggie Stiefvater--I have been waiting to read this book for a long time now.  I finally ordered it from Scholastic this Spring and opened the box while my students were in the room...long story short, I had to wait until summer to read it as it circulated the room to my Shiver series readers.  I like this conclusion to the trilogy and felt satisfied by the way everything was resolved. 
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green--This book is heart-wrenching and I spent the last 50 pages or so sobbing.  However, I would never have wished back the time that I spent reading and loving those characters.  The voice of the main character is so candid and I truly wished throughout the whole book for a miracle cure for everyone.  
See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles--I connected with this book on a very deep level.  I lost my father when I was thirteen and I remember the moments in the ER when we found out.  I felt exactly the way Fern describes feeling.  Her grief in this book reminded me of my own grief at that age and I spent yet another morning crying through a book.  (My husband thinks I am nuts at this point I am sure) I will be ordering multiple copies of this one for my class library.
50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James--This one is most definitively NOT a book for young adults.  I was curious about it and knew it was trashy but wanted to indulge in a little guilty pleasure.  Holy naughtiness, Batman!  Enough said.  

Books I am Reading:
The Glass Maker's Daughter by V. Briceland--So far it is entertaining.  I have not gotten very far in the book.  
Last Train to Paradise by Les Standiford--I am slowly but surely plugging along in this non-fiction book.  It is interesting but slower going than my usual choice of novels.  

The CAFE Book--I love the ideas that the two sisters have about literacy instruction.  Although I teach 8th grade, I am enjoying reading about this assessment system and imagining how to alter it for my grade level.  

Books to Read this week:
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia--this one is calling to me from the tbr shelf

I will be picking up holds from the library tomorrow: The Dark Frigate and Tales from Silver LandsI will try to get through at least one of these if not both
I am also planning to read a few picture books from my pile of potential mentor texts and will probably pick up and start another professional book.  

Lastly, I have to say that I love the book a day challenge.  I have been doing this challenge for 12 days and have read 17 books already.  It makes it easy to give myself permission to sit and read because I am accomplishing a goal :)

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment