Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? 9/17

This is a weekly meme to celebrate what we are reading.  Head over to Jen and Kellee's blog www.teachmentortexts.com to get more great ideas of what to read.

I am still working on getting back my reading rhythm.  During the first few weeks of school planning for class takes more because we are working on setting up routines and procedures for the whole school year.

Books I finished this week:

I picked up Trance by Linda Gerber because I was intrigued by the cover.  Then, when I started to read it, I looked closer and realized this is the same author as the Death by Denim mystery series.  I really enjoyed those books and I really enjoyed this one.  In this book, Ashlyn and her sister have always had trances that seem to tell them when something bad is going to happen.  Ashlyn did not listen to her sister the last time she had a trance and she got in a car accident in which their mother died.  Ashlyn is coping with the guilt of having been the driver in that accident and has just gone back to school and work when her trances start again.  This time they come more frequently and she is sure she needs to solve the mystery to prevent another tragedy.  I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to students in middle school and older.

Waiting for Normal by Linda Connor is a book that I have been meaning to read for awhile.  When it came up in a student's letter to me as being her favorite book, it moved up in the to read list.  Then I was lucky enough to spot it in a new collection of books purchased for our school.  I loved this book.  It paints a picture about how the laws of guardianship and adoption sometimes work out poorly for children.  Addie is living with her mother who does not take care of things and seems to be addicted to the internet.  Addie does not want her mother to get in trouble, but she is often left alone to fend for herself and does not like that life.  She hopes one day to get a normal life.  I was rooting for Addie throughout this book and I loved the other adults in her life who worked hard to make things right for her.  This is an amazing book and I would recommend it to anyone grade 5 and up.

I finally finished the audiobook for Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.  I like the story and whoa what a twist.  I will definitely have to look for the second one when it comes out.  I know that my students will enjoy this book so I will have to look for a copy to add to my library.

Books I am Currently Reading:

I have to get back to 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know by Jeff Anderson.  There were such great ideas in the parts of the book I have read so far that I can't wait to read about the rest of the ideas.  I also am reading Hero by Mike Lupica.  I am enjoying the story.  I will have to see how outrageous it gets but I always love a superhero story.  

Books on the Horizon:

I will read Between Shades of Gray this week and maybe If I Stay.  I am feeling overwhelmed by the overflowing shelves of books to read in my house.  That means I will probably pick out some short books so I can feel like I am getting through the books faster.  

I went to the library 10 cent book sale on Saturday...that is dangerous stuff!  At least it isn't too hard on my wallet, but the to read piles grew substantially.  

No comments:

Post a Comment