Monday, October 8, 2012

It's Monday! What are you Reading? 10/8



The past two weeks have been a whirlwind.  I am still working on balancing home and school and finding time for reading and writing.  During the last two weeks I read quite a few graphic novels.  I have been feeling overwhelmed with too many books to read and to little time in which to read them.

One highlight of the last week was going to see Libba Bray speak at the library.  It was so much fun--the book store provided live jazz musicians and there was a costume contest as well.  Of course, I also bought a few books which added to the to read pile...

Books I Finished in the last two weeks:

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa was a fun book.  I really enjoyed the character Grimalkin.  The adventure through the fairy realm was full of surprises and I am very interested to read the rest of the series.  I love those Amazon Kindle deals!  I would recommend this book to students in middle school and up.

Joe Bright and the Seven Genre Dudes by Jackie Mims Hopkins is a great book for reviewing genres with students.  I love fractured fairy tales!



                                   

Lunch Lady is so amazing!  I really enjoyed the fun secret spy stories of these comics. 


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Septys is an amazing historical fiction book.  I was enthralled throughout the story and learned a lot about this horrific event in history.  Everybody should read this powerful and beautiful story.  I highly recommend this book.   


I had to find out what all the buzz was about.  I can't wait to read The Dot with my students and talk about the ways we talk to ourselves about abilities.  Next year I will definitely have to put dot day on the calendar!



This picture book The Best Story is a fun story about a girl who is trying to figure out how to write the best story.  She figures out that the best stories come from the writer's heart.  I think this would be an excellent read aloud to lead into having students do heart maps.  


I am slowly but surely making my way through the Amulet series.  The second one was just as good as the first.  I love the adventure in this series.  



Last, but certainly not least, was Going Bovine by Libba Bray.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading this fantastical adventure.  I loved the references to Don Quixote.  This book definitely deserved the Printz award!

Books I am Currently Reading:

The False Prince by Jennifer A Nielsen

Books up Next:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Raven Boys, The Diviners

No comments:

Post a Comment