Monday, November 5, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading? 11/5



Every week I participate in this meme hosted by the lovely ladies over at Teach Mentor Texts.  Jen and Kellee had the brilliant idea to adapt this meme to talk about the great young adult and children's literature that we are reading.  Head over to their blog for more great reads and a plethora of recommendations of great kidlit.

My poor blog only has had these posts since summertime.  I have so many ideas for writing but so little time.  And this month I am participating in NaNoWriMo so I will have even less time to devote to blog writing.  Oh, well...

This week I had a pretty good reading week.  I was sick on Wednesday and Thursday...I actually stayed home from school which is very uncommon for me.  I felt so awful that I couldn't even really read.  That is saying quite a lot.  Luckily, it didn't last too long and I was able to get in some good reading this weekend.  

Books I Finished This Week:

I needed a fun picture book to use with my seventh grade ELA class to talk about narrative structure.  I am so glad I picked up this picture book The Three Little Wolves and The Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas.  It is a fun twist on the classic and the middle schoolers loved the modern twists.  








I love Babymouse.  These are three more titles that I picked up for my classroom.  I think I have read almost all of the series now.  I highly recommend these fun graphic novels.  



The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan was another great adventure with the demigods.  For some reason I wasn't really feeling this story.  I think it probably had to do with the fact that I was not feeling well for the majority of the time I was reading this one.  I did not like the ending.  Now I have to wait for the next one to see what happens!  So unfair!  Anyway, if you like his other books, you will like this one too.  

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer was a really funny book about a really disturbing set of circumstances.  I love how the author did an homage to rock music throughout the book with the creative chapter titles.  I was singing to myself as I read the book.  I can't imagine what it would be like to find out you are supernatural from a stranger who puts your life in chaos.  The protagonist is thrown into a situation that he is not prepared for in the least and is literally working to save the lives of all of his loved ones.  I felt that the story was a little unbelievable at times, but I was still very entertained by it.  I will definitely look for the next one.  I wonder if that one will have movie references as chapter titles.  

I am so glad that I was still feeling healthy on Tuesday night so I could go see Michelle Hodkin at our local library.  I had so much fun and she is such a fabulous lady!  The highlight was buying both of her books and getting them signed.  I kept this one for the weekend because I knew I would want to be able to lose myself in the story.   This book delivered in a big way!  It is part mystery, part romance, part thriller.  My mind is still reeling from the way the plot twisted and turned.  The ENDING!!! OMG!  If you have not read this series yet, you need to go get it and read it. I would recommend the books for grades 8 and up.  

What I am currently reading:

Still listening to Blood Red Road

What is up next:

I probably will read The Diviners this week.  I am not sure what else I will pick up.  I have been reading a lot of big books lately and might decide to pick up some shorter ones for a change.  I also might take a book or two off my other book shelf with titles that are not YA titles.  We shall see how the week goes.  


2 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better! Sounds like a great time at the Michelle Hodkin event.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to read Hold Me Closer now for so long- I wish that my library had the audiobook so I could listen to it; I'll have to get the book and read it at some point.
    How are you enjoying Blood Red Road? I think it is a wonderful dystopian book- very unique and such a ride!
    Thanks for letting me know about the 3 little wolves book- I use Sciezska's True Story book, but it is always fun to have another.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete