Monday, June 10, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/10


It's Monday! What are you reading? --From Picture Books to YA--is a weekly meme hosted by Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  Head over to their blog for links to many great blogs and a plethora of good book suggestions.

I cannot believe that we have arrived at the end of the school year already!  I am so excited for summer #bookaday and Teachers Write this summer.  I loved my experience in Teachers Write last summer and am really looking forward to participating more this summer.

This was another slow reading week with preparations for the 8th grade completion ceremony and picnic, along with the last days of student work to plan for.  The weekend was full of errands and shopping and finalizing the slide show so there was not much time for reading left.

Books I Finished Last Week:

I finally finished listening to Days of Blood and Starlight this week! Oh my, I am going to be absolutely on pins and needles until the next one comes out.  The prose in these books is so achingly beautiful.  I love the imagination of Laini Taylor.  There are so many things happening in these books and this world is a place both terrifying and fascinating.  I love Karou and Akiva and cannot wait to spend more time with them in the next book.

I enjoyed Rot and Ruin, but it took me awhile to get hooked.  I think I was just on zombie overload because my husband and I had just watched a bunch of episodes of The Walking Dead to catch up with last season.  I like how the protagonist really grows up and starts to be much more intelligent about what is really going on in his world.  This is a smart story about what it might really be like to be living in the world after zombies have taken over.  I will definitely recommend this one to my 8th grade students next year...especially the fans of The Walking Dead.  I would be careful recommending it to students any younger than this because of the violence involved.

Books I am Currently Reading:

I started reading The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom this week.  I am loving the humor so far.  I also started Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe this week.  I am also enjoying this one.

What's Next?

I will play it by ear this week.  My last work day is Thursday so I will probably take some time next weekend to do a reading marathon.  I found the entire Pretty Little Liars series on clearance at Half Price Books today so I might start with some of those because I know they will be quick.  I am also looking forward to starting Code Name Verity.  I saved it for summer because I knew I might need to give it more focused attention in the beginning.  I also want to take time to read some books in Spanish this summer.  I have been so focused on reading a lot that I have been neglecting that.  It is always good practice for me to spend some time thinking in Spanish.



2 comments:

  1. So many great picks! Isn't the end of Days of Blood and Starlight just devastating? I mean, I get it, but I don't like it! I just finished the second Hero's Guide and it is awesome. Aristotle and Dante is on my list. I think I am going to listen to that one. Enjoy Code Name Verity! Have a great week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1ze

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Aristotle and Dante and I will watch for your review of Code Name Verity. I have also heard that it needs a lot of concentration! Happy end of the year to you, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete