Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Words/Topics that will make you NOT pick up a book

I am joining in on this weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week there is a different top ten list topic and a bunch of bloggers weighing in.  Head on over there to see more of the great blogs participating.

Each week is such a different topic.  I am really enjoying this meme because it really makes me think about reading habits.  This one really made me stretch my thinking.  My first reaction to this is that there isn't anything that I would not pick up...but that isn't true.  I just had to think about it.  For all of these words/topics I could come up with a counter-example, but these words generally have me saying no thanks.


Vampires: I am just sick of this topic.  I enjoyed the Twilight saga and the Sookie Stackhouse books were entertaining, but the whole vampire romance thing is overdone and I am sick of it.

Heavy Emotional Topics: I will avoid a book or a movie if I know it packs a big emotional punch.  I still want to read it or watch it, but I find myself passing it over for other things.  I don't want my escape from reality to bring me more emotional turmoil.

Dragons: This is another topic that I am a little sick of.  There are some brilliant young adult books out there with dragons in them, but I really have a hard time suspending disbelief for these.  Unless someone I trust really loved the book, I will not pick it up if it is about dragons.

Faeries: I have to admit that this one is a little bit less of a turn-off lately.  However, it is a word that will definitely make me pause.  If I have never heard of the book, and it did not come highly recommended by a friend, I will probably pass it up if it says faeries are characters.

Business/Economics: I am just not interested in this.

Erotica: Just not my cup of tea.  Enough said.

High Fantasy: This is more specifically referring to books for adults.  In middle grades and young adult books, I find this genre to be one I enjoy.  However, when it comes to adult books there are so many things to keep track of and maps and such.  I just don't want to do the work of keeping up with that stuff.  I am sure there would be some that I would like, but I haven't found one yet.

Abuse: This goes along with the heavy emotional topics.  I have read some books that dealt with this issue and liked those books.  However, I am hesitant to pick up a book if I know that it deals with any kind of abuse.  I just don't really want to suffer with a character.  I want to be uplifted by the stories I enter, not brought down.  (Even if the end message is uplifting)

Sports: I try to read some young adult books with this topic because I need to be able to recommend books to all students.  The sports books appeal especially to boys and I want to be able to share these titles with them.  But I don't really like many books with sports themes.  I certainly would not pick up a book on the topic if it wasn't a book I had heard of for young adults.

Horror/Ghost: I am a scaredy cat and I don't need to read more things to spook myself.  I love reading murder mysteries, but when it starts getting into the creepy/supernatural, I cannot deal.  If it is going to scare me silly, I will not enjoy the book.

What topics or words make you cringe and shy away from a book?  Please share in the comments.



2 comments:

  1. I have a hard time with horror books as well. They're usually too bloody for me, but I loved Anna Dressed in Blood. I have a hard time with dragon books too. I want to read Seraphina, but it's not high on my list.

    -Sarah @ YA Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list, I also hate books about sports or business or include erotica.

    ReplyDelete