Monday, May 19, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 5/19



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? --From Picture Books to YA is a weekly meme started by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers. This is a chance for bloggers to recap their week of reading and share their plans for the next reading adventures they will take. Visit the host blogs for a list of great blogs participating in this meme and a whole bunch of titles to add to your to-read lists.


Books I Finished This Week:

I finally finished listening to this audiobook this week.  Rotters is a really creepy story.  It is hard to say that I liked or enjoyed the book because of how disturbing the book gets, but I definitely thought it was a well-written story.  The audio is performed really well.  Definitely don't be eating while listening to this story...  

Ilsa Bick came to visit my school back in February.  I have wanted to read Ashes since then, but my students were so excited about the book that I had to wait my turn.  This is a very interesting science fiction story.  I will be really curious to read more in the trilogy to see how this world ends up.  Dr. Bick told us that this book was not a zombie book, and I see what she means since it isn't a disease that starts the trouble. However, there is blood and gore and kids who attack and eat people. Any student (or adult) who likes zombie stories will like this one too.  I would highly recommend this book.  

I just finished reading this book this morning.  I have enjoyed this series by Susan Beth Pfeffer, but I am glad to be finished with her depressing world.  I have been reading too many post-apocalyptic books lately.  I definitely need to lighten it up.  That being said, I really liked the way all of the books were realistic and gritty.  I would highly recommend this series.  

I was caught up in this story from the first pages.  There is so much mystery in the book as Cadence is trying to get back her memories of an accident that happened to her two summers ago.  This is one of the books that is hardest to review, because you are better off not knowing much about it when you start reading.  I devoured this book almost in one sitting.  This one is highly, highly recommended.  

Books I Am Currently Reading:

  I started listening to Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King.  So far, I like the story and the narrator.  I am still reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville as well.  

What's Next?

   I need to find a few books that are not so depressing and heavy.  Lately, many of the books I have read are so bleak and paint pictures of a future that would be awful.  I am going to look for some more uplifting titles on my shelves for a while (I think).  I cannot wait to do bookaday this summer and possibly clear some of my to-read shelves.  If I can just refrain from buying more books, I might have a fighting chance.  

What are you reading this week?  Any recommendations for me?  I would love to hear from you in the comments!  


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to start we were liars! It will definitely be in my bookaday pile! Thanks for sharing the others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second post I've seen on We Were Liars. You definitely made me put in on my To Read list. Thanks.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Andrea, I have half a mind to join the book-a-day challenge but I am aware of my limitations, hahaha! A novel a week is the most that I can manage, so I am amazed by the amount of reading you've done over the week. We were liars is definitely receiving a lot of buzz recently, and I am intrigued! Hopefully I get to it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete