Monday, July 20, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? July 20


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? --From Picture Books to YA is a weekly meme started by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers. This is a chance for bloggers to recap their week of reading and share their plans for the next reading adventures they will take. Visit the host blogs for a list of great blogs participating in this meme and a whole bunch of titles to add to your to-read lists.

Books I Finished This Week:

I enjoyed The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick as much as I enjoyed The Silver Linings Playbook. I have to admit that I have a weird issue with narrators like this. The book is really well written and many people would give it a rave review, but there is just something off for me (this is the case with The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night as well). I did like how the resolution of the book turned out. It definitely was a good ending and I am glad I read this one. I would recommend it to adults. 

I can understand how this book won the Pura Belpre award. I was riveted from the start. I felt so awful for the protagonist, Piddy, who was bullied from the first day at her new school. What was so awful was the way that things spiraled out of her control and she hadn't done a thing wrong. I highly recommend this book for high school and up. 


The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare is an amazing book. It absolutely would be a great one to recommend to all Harry Potter fans. These two authors are amazing fantasy authors and they hit this one out of the park. I can't wait to read more of this Magisterium series! I highly recommend this one to grades 5 and up. 

Books I am Currently Reading:

I am reading Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike. I am also listening to Rebecca thanks to a free audiobook download from Sync audiobooks. I also have started reading Day by Day for ideas about writing workshop. I also started Flipping 2.0. 

What's Next? 
I have Unsnared and Stella By Starlight on my shelf from the library. I also got a few pages into A God In Ruins and need to get back to that book. I have an entire small bookshelf of titles from my classroom that I want to get to. I also might like to pick up The Martian. We'll see! 

What are you reading this week? I would love to hear from you in the comments.


10 comments:

  1. Oh, I need to get to The Iron Trial! It sounds just up my alley. Summer is rapidly coming to an end. I think my favorite book last week was Thickety: The Whispering Trees, though there were lots of other good ones. Happy reading!

    Angie aka MsOReadsBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the sequel to Iron Trial waiting right now-- on Edelweiss, I think! The first book was NEVER on the shelf! I should probably look into some more YA books, but they are just not my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, The two Magesterium books are still not even out yet-one soon & the other in Sept. They sound good, Andrea. I will look for them! I enjoyed Yaqui Delgado very much, but it was sad to see how things can go so badly so quickly. When I've had new students, those first days are crucial to make it into the group(s). This is a small school so I can't imagine how challenging it is in the bigger high schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iron Trial is out in hardcover and will be in paperback next week. I actually got this one in a Scholastic order earlier this Spring. I am looking forward to the second one in September.

      Delete
  4. I love love love Yaqui Delgado. So very much going on in that story and yet it never felt too stuffed with issues. Plenty to think about and discuss, and an easy sell for high school readers with that awesome title!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Iron Trial to read and I've heard great things about it. I think it's one I can hand off to 4th graders? At some point I'd like to read Yaqui Delgado. One day....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Matthew Quick's Boy 21 and Leonard Peacock--I need to read more of his titles.
    I am so glad you liked Yaqui Delgado. I think it is such a well-done, important, heart-wrenching title.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you liked Yaqui Delgado. It is one of my favorites. I've read all of Matthew Quick except the book you mentioned, so I have a new mission. :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Piddy is such a great character. Like Kellee, I am determined to read more of Matthew Quick. I have read two of his titles so far and really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Andrea - I'm currently reading Yaqui Delgado - I always have that sense of dread at the pit of my stomach each time that I open the pages - I have a feeling I'd finish the book tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete