Monday, December 28, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 12/28



Here are some books I have been reading in the last couple of weeks:

A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin is the fourth in the Mistress of Art and Death series. These are murder mysteries set in the middle ages when a woman doctor was thought to be a witch. The main character of this series was from Sicily and therefore received medical training and has learned to perform autopsies to determine cause of death. However, this must be done in secret in England or she will be shunned for being a witch. I really have enjoyed all of the books in this series. In this one, the main character is in mortal danger herself as she accompanies the princess on a journey across Europe. Fans of mysteries and historical fiction will enjoy this book for adult readers.

I have had Bluefish by Pat Schmatz on my shelf for years. I finally brought it down and read it. What an amazing story. I love the way the teacher in this book helps the main character to learn to read. It is a beautiful story about perseverance in the face of life's challenges and the struggles that some people have to find family. I highly recommend this one to grades 8 and up.

Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick was a tough book to read. In a lot of ways, I was glad I read it while I was sort of distracted and not able to fully immerse myself in the story. It is an important story about the true events that happened to a young boy in Cambodia when the Khmer Rouge took over and there was awful genocide. This is an important story to know about, but really tough to read. I would recommend it for grades 8 and up, but with fair warning that it is quite graphic in parts.

I also have been reading with my ears this week. We did a road trip from Milwaukee to Savannah to visit my sister and her family for Christmas. On the way down, we listened to the first Harry Potter book because I love Jim Dale as a narrator and it was an entertaining reread for both my husband and me. We also listened to the first season of the Serial podcast. So intriguing!

What I am Currently Reading:

I started to read IQ84. That seems like it will take me quite a while to get through, because it is so long. I also started reading Dorothy Must Die because my sister had it on her shelf and I wanted to see if I would like it. I have requested it at my library and will hope to be able to continue reading it soon. I am also listening to Girl on the Train during our road trip back to Milwaukee. It was a great choice for a book that keeps us both intrigued.

What's Next?

I will be reading Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free for my book club. Otherwise, I will have to see what comes up this week.

What are you reading this week? I would love to hear from you in the comments! Have a great reading week!




8 comments:

  1. I love the variety of what you read. I'll have to check out the Ariana Franklin series. Here is what I read last week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard many good things about Dorothy Must Die. I think I'll add it to my #MustReadin2016 list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my co-workers loved Dorothy Must Die and I'll probably read it once the series is complete. I love everything Oz related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember hearing about Bluefish, glad you shared it, will look for it. I've also heard of Never Fall Down, am sure it was a tough read. That was an awful time. Would love to read the Chilean Mine story. What an amazing feat of survival and Rescue. Thanks for all, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to listen to the Harry Potter series on audio. I've heard wonderful things as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serial was mesmerizing - I had to listen to it twice! The new season does not disappoint, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, Andrea. Good luck on IQ84 - Murakami requires a different kind of reading commitment and stamina indeed. While I have a collection of his novels, I do feel I have to be at a certain place in my life to fully appreciate his works. Thanks for sharing so many new-to-me titles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to read "The Girl on the Train" for my book club meeting in January, I'd better get started! :)

    ReplyDelete