Monday, October 21, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 10/21






It's Monday! What Are You Reading? --From Picture Books to YA is a weekly meme started by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers. This is a chance for bloggers to recap their week of reading and share their plans for the next reading adventures they will take. Visit the host blogs for a list of great blogs participating in this meme and a whole bunch of titles to add to your to-read lists.


After a really busy week of teacher conferences and the long days that are involved in that, it was nice to have the day off on Friday. I spent the weekend reading and relaxing. I will probably be regretting that decision tomorrow because I did not spend a lot of time planning and preparing the week, but it was really nice to take the long weekend off.

Books I Finished This Week:

I had a hard time getting into The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, but by the end I really enjoyed the book.  As I said last week, I think I am sick of vampires.  However, this story really took a turn.  I was really intrigued by the way the protagonist questioned her own morality and turned against her own instincts.  I am quite curious now to see how the rest of the series will turn out, because this one left me with a lot of hope for the future of the world of this book.  

Keeper of the Bride by Tess Gerritson was a quick and fun read.  The mystery was not very complicated and the love story was a little predictable, but I enjoyed the book.  This is another author that will be at the Key West Literary Seminar in January so it was fun to read this book.  I will definitely be looking for more by this author.  


Books I am Currently Reading:

I started I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga.  This is such an interesting premise.  The son of a serial killer is unsure whether he will become a killer. He was raised by his father and trained to kill, but does not want to end up like him.  When a copycat killer moves into town, he tries to help solve the murders.  I am really enjoying this book.  Teens who like watching Dexter would definitely like this one...although it might be too much for some.  I also am still listening to Siege and Storm.  I made some progress this week and will most likely finish this one this week.  

What's Next?

I have Eleanor and Park on audio and I can't wait to get started with that one.  I hope I finish my other audiobook so that I can get to that one.  I want to read Crank by Ellen Hopkins.  I have not read any of her books yet, but I now own a few of them and want to be able to recommend them to students.  I also need to look at my challenges to check a few more books off the lists.  It will depend on the time I have this week and my moods.  

What are you reading this week?  Any recommendations?  I would love to hear from you in the comments.  


4 comments:

  1. I really liked I Hunt Killers and the sequel was just fabulous (and super creepy). I am glad to hear you eventually got into Immortal Rules. I do want to start that series eventually. I enjoyed the audio of Eleanor & Park and as soon as I finish Ptolemy's Gate I plan to listen to Fangirl. Have a great week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1Ip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Andrea, it does seem that vampires are out these days and zombies too for that matter. I've heard nothing but good things about Eleanor and Park - hope the audio book is as good as the physical book. :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-I Hunt Killers sounds like an amazing premise, but I see above that someone else liked it, & the sequel. I hope you like Eleanor & Park, which I did love. I'm reading The Year of Billy Miller, for younger readers. So far it's very good. Thanks for the new vampire title too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sick of vampires, too, so I completely understand. It is hard to give a book a chance when you are already sick of the topic.

    Enjoy Eleanor and Park-- we'll have to talk about the ending when you get there :)

    ReplyDelete