Saturday, August 30, 2014

Celebration 8/30


Join the celebration by linking up at www.ruthayreswrites.com or just visit and read the great celebrations!

This week I am celebrating positivity and a new beginning.

I am so relieved to be starting the school year with a team of colleagues that are positive about the job and what kids can do.

I love my classroom and what I was able to do with it (alas, I forgot to take pictures on Friday).

I enjoyed meeting some of my students and their parents at our Open House on Thursday. It was great to see the students gravitate right toward the carpet area and the library. 

I had the privilege and the challenge of training some of my colleagues on the new online student information system we will use this year. Compared to the old dinosaur of a system we were using, Infinite Campus is amazing and will be great. However, setting up a grade book online is a big challenge for some of the computer-phobic folks in my school. I had volunteered to work with the group that needed more support because I knew that they needed slow and patient instruction. Although everyone's mind was blown by the end of the 6 hours of training, I received several compliments on the way I worked with everyone to help them. The next day, I even got a thank you card from one of the teachers I helped. It is so nice to be able to help people feel less scared of technology. 

The new music teacher saw my display of books that I read over the summer and came into my classroom to talk about the Cassandra Clare series. LOVE that these displays start great book conversations. 

I'm not ready yet, but I will be by Tuesday. I love the energy that surrounds me as I plan and prepare for my first day with students. 

It really has hit me how very negative I had become in the middle school position. I am so glad this opportunity to move to 4th grade arose. I needed the change in scenery and the new start. 

What do you have to celebrate? I would love to hear from you in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised by how easy it is to fall into the trap of negativity. I love my job, but I have noticed that when I am around negative colleagues, I will take to complaining about all kinds of things! I'm trying to work on that this year--even if it does mean that I sometimes sound like a Pollyanna. Your post reminded me that I meant to get a book display up on my office door too! Even though we're starting our third week on Tuesday, it's not too late. Hope you have a wonderful first week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those folks that always needs to go slow, but I do love technology. Thanks for helping out with the group that needed the most guidance, and especially for your patience. So many tech trainings flew by me without time to absorb everything, but I always appreciated my colleagues who helped me when I was lost.
    Have a wonderful beginning week! We want to see a pic of that reading door.

    ReplyDelete